Thursday, October 16, 2008

Foreign Shit Is Weird And Delicious

Today I wandered through Pearl River Mart on my lunch break. This store is always a treasure trove of junk and hilarity. Take these wine bottle cozies for example. My favorite was the topper of Chinese hat complete with long black braid!

While kitschy is at least understandable, this thing below was totally perplexing. What the heck does this pumice stone thing have in common with bikes, skis, and a faucet? Why does this photo show a happy little boy rubbing it on a shiny clean kitchen spigot? (Or is it a bike handle?)

The back of the package only confused me more. Somehow this thing is also related to knives, chairs and ice skates? And is it really worth $11.50?

But strange hilarious and foreign packaging can also mean something crazy delicious. Last night my new friend Murtaza took me to an Indian sandwich shop in the west village.

This is their menu.

I had the blobby red thing (turns out that is their preferred visual for minced meat) and egg on the lower left corner. It was totally amazing! (My mouth is watering writing this!) I also had bites of the Paneer and Unda Chicken roll and both were tasty options. So while Mamoun's is always a good late night neighborhood favorite, next time you are in that area, I highly recommend wandering down a few doors.

1 comment:

emily said...

My guess is that the pumice is for polishing silver or metal of some kind.