Thursday, August 28, 2008

What I Did On My Summer Vacation - Part 4

My blur of social events did not ease through the middle of August. Like last year, my crew spent a lovely day drinking at vineyards on a Zog Sports trip to Long Island. Alas, I left my camera at home so there are no photos, but this is probably a good thing because I got heroically drunk (must have been the sun). If you ever have the chance to get out that way, be sure to stop at Peconic Bay Winery. They are very knowledgeable the wine was really great.

Like most of you, I became obsessed with Michael Phelps (who I swear looks like my cousin Daniel) and the Nastia Lukin vs Mighty Mouse saga of the Olympics. Thankfully, my good friend Michelle was in town for a few days to help me cheer for team USA.

She also dragged me away from the TV one night to try Mario Batali's pizza joint, Otto.

I had the Pene Frattau pizza, which is pecorino cheese and egg with added prosciutto (on the recommendation of our waiter). Foodies are brilliant because adding a fried yolk made this combination damn tasty. It was breakfast and pizza in one delicious bite.

I finally got around to organizing an actual Adopt A Neighborhood this month to the Bronx Zoo and Arthur Avenue. I was horrified to see that peacocks have become the new pigeons. They boldly strutted around the picnic areas and stupid humans fed them bits of french fries and chicken fingers. That can not be good for a bird's digestion! Good thing they don't fly high enough to crap on me!

Thankfully, we left the nasty beasts behind to visit the really bored polar bear...

some pretty monkeys ...

zebras...

and kissey fish.

We ended our day at the 4:00pm tiger feeding and enrichment program.

The keepers entice the tiger to perform certain tasks in order to check her paws and ensure her health. When she got into this pose, I had a moment when I imagined what it must have been like for poor Roy (or was it Siegfried?). In addition to small bits of meat, the cat receives a bloodcicle for her cooperation. Gross.

You can see my full set of animal photos here.

The end of our exploration took us to the "real" Little Italy on Arthur Ave. We made it just in time to buy some sausages and balsamic vinegar at the Italian market (under the watchful eye of the pope).

While we were scheduled to go for family style Italian dinner at Dominick's, they were apparently back in the old country for the summer. So we ended up at Umberto's Clam House where Beth got the biggest piece of lasagna I've ever set eyes on.

The following week was busy with a networking event, an end of season party for my kickball team (we won best team name for Kicker, I Don't Even Know Her), and a trip to MOMA with Bonnie to see the Dali exhibit and listen to music in the sculpture garden.


Not to be outdone by my weekday activities, my weekend was no less crazy. Friday night I went with some new friends to The Brooklyn Brewery for $4 beers. It's a great place to order a pizza, play some cards and sample their on site only specialty brews.

Saturday I revisited my days at Nova by attending a toga party in Astoria. That's right. I said toga party, bitches.

In addition to walking around in a pink satin bed sheet, (it just wasn't the same as the Budweiser sheet I used back in the day) my friend Gillian attempted to put laurel leaves in my hair.

Her attempt was about as successful as me trying to help Rob make a toga and somehow giving him a bed sheet diaper instead.

I capped off my summer weekend with a long overdue trip to Water Taxi Beach where the beers were cold and the views of Manhattan were spectacular.




What I Did On My Summer Vacation
To Be Continued....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I appreciated the bed sheet diaper!