Tuesday, December 23, 2008

OK Go

I was recently telling someone about my few year stint as an usher at the Beacon Theatre (pre-renovations). While seating cranky church ladies for Tyler Perry plays and dealing with screaming children during three daily runs of Winnie the Pooh were mind melting, occasionally I was introduced to an enjoyable and unknown musical act.

Never was I more surprised and happy to discover a band than OK GO. These raw rock dudes put on a fun enthusiastic show as the opening act for...James Taylor. Now, the audience for JT is primarily white middle aged suburban types seeking a quiet listening experience. I couldn't quite fathom how the two acts had been paired on the same bill.

Neither could the band.

So, after a brief statement that the reason James Taylor's audience would like them was not their musical virtuosity but their ability to dance, the band closed the curtain and preformed this:




They became You Tube sensations and followed up with this a few months later:





Today when revisiting these old favorites, I found yet another amazing OK GO video:





I can not wait for their new album.

1 comment:

rachel said...

OK Go are one of the most underrated bands out there! I saw them open for both Snow Patrol and The Fray last year. For the 2007 Grammy's, they dressed as the red and gold upholstery from that last video. Google it, it's hilarious!

Rachel