Monday, September 22, 2008

Happy Thursday

My grandfather has been dead over ten years and I find myself missing him a lot recently. According to my mother, he was a harsh patriarchal figure that expected strict adherence to his rules. But I suppose after three kids and retirement, he mellowed to end up a gruff yet doting grandfather -- the sort of grandpa that took me on long drives (all the while whistling with outstanding vibrato) that always ended at Friendly's for corn muffins and OJ.

At some point in the mesozoic age (i.e. my youth), pop started bringing my grandmother random presents. Because these unexpected gestures made her so happy, he enacted a family wide program of "days of the week" gifts for the rest of his life. Sometimes is was something silly like a key chain or a book, but there were things (like the time he crashed the car) as significant as emerald rings!

And what does this have to do with anything? Well last week (this post is a little behind schedule) my good friend Martin gave me a Thursday present for no reason other than he loves me dearly... and thought of me when he saw this ring in a window. (He also remembered my moment of silence during the impromptu trash can burial of my favorite Parisian glass ring that died in a boccie related incident.)

In any case, because he was so sweet and because my grandpa was a schmoopie, I would like to encourage everyone to buy someone a random gift today. Trust me when I tell you it will make them and you very happy.

(Te amo, Martin.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Funny that you talked about that...I still say that every once in a while to Jennifer...like if I buy her flowers for no real reason.